Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Dane's Review: Leaving Dirty Jersey by James Salant

Okay, this book is NOT, and I can't emphasize that enough, for any of the following people: anyone who dislikes or disapproves of drugs, drug use, profanity, violence, sex, or anyone who isn't comfortable with graphic descriptive literature or is squimish. I know, not the most "wowing" of intros from yours truly, however I'm sure that many of you are adult enough to handle some more intense reading. Heck, I know 14 year olds that are more mature about sex than people in their twenties. So yeah, it's like this: drugs are bad, nuf said, but I had to read some drug stories for a class, I hope you like reading about me btw, and this book is like James Frey's Million Little Pieces, with maybe less shock. Reminded me of a book called Junky, albeit an easier read.
So Jimmy, "Jim", he's out of rehab or GSL or whatever they call it, and he's staying clean of drugs like a good kid would, has himself a place to stay down in Cali (California). He & Luke & Wendy are doing well, his cohorts are, were, using drugs like him. But like most addicts, when confronted with the choice of using again, don't have as much will as they would like to believe. It's a story of meth and all the side drugs he does, connections he makes, and stories he has. I have a hard time describing the book without some profanity myself. The scary part is that it's all so real, how he and his friends are constantly paranoid, or making or breaking themselves. The sheer nonchalantness and calousness in all of the charaters is frightening. But when Wendy gets sent to prison, Jim has quite the time working his way around the town, borrowing money, cause it's always about the money, from his parents, stealing and living to feed his drug addiction.
It's awfully hardcore reading about his paranoia and loss of his mind. And with all that aside, it's pretty much one of the best books I've read in a long, long time. I recommend it only to those who think they can handle the most lewd of things, because Mr. Salant isn't shy when it comes to this novel.
Rating: 5Q, 2P

1 comment:

Clumsy Cook said...

Hi Dane! This review is wonderful. I'm Jim's girlfriend and wanted to thank you for writing it. I was wondering if you would mind posting this review on his Amazon page?

http://www.amazon.com/Leaving-Dirty-Jersey-Crystal-Memoir/dp/1416936297/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/104-2710644-3002366?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1180102874&sr=8-1

Keep up the good work reviewing! I'll be back to check this site for sure!

-Robin

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails