Wednesday, August 26, 2009

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

The Book Thief For many of you, books are an essential part of life. They provide enjoyment, companionship, possibly even an escape from reality. You may find ones you love, others you like, and some you despise. For Liesel Meminger, books were her source of strength, her obsession, her way of life.

"Where are my manners? I could introduce myself properly, but it's not really necessary. You will know me well enough and soon enough, depending on a diverse range of variables. It suffices to say that at some point in time, I will be standing over you, as genially as possible. You would will be in my arms. A color perched on your shoulder. I will carry you gently away."

I am Death and I saw Liesel, the book thief, only 3 times before I came to carry her away. The colors: white, black, red. Deaths of a brother, a stranger, and her whole world.

The last time I saw her I discovered something left behind, her journal, a story which I shall share with you. A story, set in Nazi Germany during World War II and the horrors of the Holocaust, that can prove human existence is worth it. Come with me.

View all my Goodreads reviews >>

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails