Sunday, June 19, 2011

Whiskey on the Rocks by Nina Wright


Name: Krystiana Graham

Grade: 12th grade +

Title: Whiskey on the Rocks

Author: Nina Wright

Review: This is a book I've passed many times while reading, and slowly grew more and more curious about. So one day, I read the back - and discovered a new favorite series. Whiskey on the Rocks is the first installment of the series, Whiskey Mattimoe Mysteries, by Nina Wright. The main character is a real estate broker (with a knack for finding dead bodies on the properties she tries to sell) named Whitney Mattimoe. Of course, everyone calls her Whiskey - despite the fact she doesn't drink. You learn in the beginning of the book, about a dog named Abracadabra. Or, Abra for short. A spoiled afghan hound who belonged to Whiskey's late husband. An afghan hound who is in 'rehad' for a habit of stealing . . . purses.

It is because of this habit that Whiskey finds herself knee deep in a mystery surrounding a few dead people, some missing artwork, and her rock star neighbor's son. Not to mention a chopped off finger, and a suave mysterious man. Tie that up together in a pretty little package, and you have the starting of a Whiskey Mystery. Of course, you'll need some help, like from the police, a homosexual woman named Jenx. And the deputy, a man whose canine partner tends to get Abra acting . . . horny for lack of a better term. Mix in some Odette, who works with Whiskey, and Whiskey's ex-husband, Jeb. And you have an interesting mystery with all the key players. Now, in this mystery, it starts out with some folks wanting to rent out their home, and before long, someone comes to find the home ransacked, while they were renting it, and an expensive painting mystery. When Whiskey and Abra get on the trail, they discover a purse with a severed finger in it.

As the story continues, you learn all about Whiskey (and Abra's) odd way of all ways getting their guy.

Why I picked this book up: It was a book I had been curious about. Seeing it many times, and when I read the back, it was right up my alley, and I couldn't put it down.

Why I finished it: I was constantly curious about what would happen next, so I kept reading, until it left me stranded, and in need for the next book.

I'd give this book to: Anyone who likes a good mystery.

Rating: Five out of Five; it was an amazing book, that I could see anyone enjoying, and the next book in the series gets better and better.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails