Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Wonder by R.J. Palacio

Wonder Have you ever wondered what it would be like to be different, so different that others would stop and stare, or worse? Have you ever wondered why we judge people based on their physical appearances? Have you ever stopped to wonder how you treat others and if it is always with kindness?

August Pullman was born with a facial deformity. He has been homeschooled his entire life due to his health. Finally Auggie has the opportunity to attend public school for fifth grade. Wonder is the story of his fifth grade year, told from the points-of-view of August, her sister Via, Via's boyfriend Justin, her best friend Miranda, as well as Auggie's friend Jack.

Why I picked up the book: It has been recommended to me numerous times by a variety of people.

Why I finished it: I could not put the book down. I especially loved Auggie's parents. I would hope to be that great of a parent in that type of situation.

I'd give it to: Absolutely anyone. It has a great message about kindness, love, and acceptance that we all (teens, adults, parents, teachers, students) need to hear and be reminded of on a frequent basis. I took the book with me to school visits, in case I had a few minutes to read between classes, and anyone who had read it and saw it in my hand always said "Wow! That's such a great book."

My rating: 5 of 5 stars

View all my Goodreads reviews

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails