Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Emily's Review: Special Topics in Calamity Physics by Marisha Pessl


Okay. I admit to being a pretentious jerk and only picking up this book first because A.) it reminded me of Donna Tartt's Secret History and B.) someone said Pessl wrote line Nabokou. I am still a pretentious jerk because I thought it wouldn't deliver on either point, and it did, but I still set out to hate it on principle.
I am now redeemed, because I freaking LOVE this book. It's just -Oh, man! So trippy! So well-written! SO AWESOME! And Marisha Pessl is too pretty for her own good. Seriously, Google her. GORGEOUS.
Okay: so Blue van Meer, a super-intellectual high school senior, travels the nation with her witty (sometimes nasty) college professor father. At her new high school, she falls in with a vicious clique and the mysterious teacher who leads them. Did I mention the teacher is dead by the first chapter? The rest of the book explores Blue's relations with her new "friends", and what happened-well, what seemed to have happened-that lead to Hannah Schneider's death, and its consequences. Political science, terrorists, AP classes and art: it's an unexpected mix. I definitely recommend Special Topics in Calamity Physics.
Rating: 5Q, 4P

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails