Friday, December 21, 2007

Emily's Review: One for Sorrow by Christopher Barzak

I was at first hesitant to pick this up, perhaps because I had heard it compared to The Lovely Bones. I enjoyed said book but found it toothachey, in spots, so when i read the summary for Barzak's first novel, I decided it was a no-go. Then I found the first chapter online, printed as a short story of a different title--and decided I had to find it immediately.
After that, I waited months.
I am lazy aobut buying books. But now I have it, so all is well.
So, One for Sorrow: boy meets boy, latter boy disappears, girl finds latter boy murdered, first boy meets girl, latter boy haunts first boy, plot and writing becomes increasingly more surreal. It is utterly bizarre, often confusing, and TOTALLY AWESOME. The main character's voice is pitch-perfect teen.
Rating: 4Q, 4P

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails