Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier


"This is Manderley, notorious, ridden by evil. Its mistress Rebecca de Winter, has been dead for eight months- drowned in a sailing accident." Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier is a classic mystery that seems to only get better with time. Published in 1938 it was an instant hit. Today it is compared with other classic works such as Bronte's Jane Eyre. It is up to Max de Winter's second wife, the un-named Mrs. de Winter to discover the secret behind Rebecca's sinister power that continues to captivate the house after her death. Secrets begin to unravel and a shocking revelation is made towards the end of the novel that will change Manderley forever. Rebecca is an incredible mystery and further proof of this is its inspiration for Hitchcock's film adaptation Rebecca released in 1940 that also took away an Academy Award. It's a novel that all classic book and mystery fans would greatly enjoy, not to mention it is extremely well written.

Why I picked this book: I'd seen the movie and my mom recommended the book for me to read.

Why I finished it: The language and story plot kept me interested all the way to the end.

I'd give this book to: Anyone who appreciated classic literature and a well written mystery.

My Rating: ***** Loved it!


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails