Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Animal Farm



Name: Eric

Grade: 12

Book: Animal Farm

Author: George Orwell


This book in its simplest form is about animals taking over a farm. Manor Farm is run by the negligent farmer Jones, and is taken over in a revolution by the animals, led by the pigs, and turned into Animal Farm. This is not however, what this book is really about. Instead, animal illustrates the nuances of Communism, democracies, and the "animal" like nature of humans. Using the heirachal nature of everyday farm animals, Orwell makes an excellent analogy to how humans view themselves when lined up with eachother, and how our goverments truly run. Characters like Snowball and Napolean the pig will seem familiar to those who know their history, while everyone will recognize what the hard working horse represents.

This does not mean that the book is dry or a history lesson however. Instead, it paints the issues of humans in a fun and relatable way, that anyone can enjoy. While it is one of Orwell's lesser known books, it is one of his best, in this reviewers humble opinion. My only warning would be that it is based in England, and as such certain references and jargon are lost on an American reader. I would enjoy a seeing a modernized version, myself.

I picked this book up because I had read George Orwell before, but had never heard of Animal Farm, and was intrigued.

I finished this book because it engrossed me. I had an obligation to the animals to see it through to the end.

I'd give this book to anyone who knows their history or is politically inclined, but also anyone who is a fan of Orwells.

Rating: ****

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails