Friday, December 30, 2011

Dash & Lily's Book of Dares by Rachel Cohn & David Levithan

Dash & Lily's Book of Dares"Imagine this:
You're in your favorite bookstore, scanning the shelves. You get to the section where a favorite author's books reside, and there, nestled in comfortably between the incredibly familiar spines, sits a red notebook.
What do you do?
The choice, I think, is obvious:
You take down the red notebook and open it.
And then you do whatever it tells you to do."
(page 1)

Lily left the aforementioned red notebook next to Salinger's "Franny and Zooey" in the Strand, a hip used book store in New York City. It was discovered by Dash. Dash decides to follow the literary clues and then leave one of his own for the mysterious Lily, thus beginning a city-wide "treasure hunt", passing the notebook back and forth yet never meeting. Dash and Lily employ friends and family in the quirky and often hilarious dares, sharing their thoughts and feelings along the way. Is it possible to start a friendship or even a relationship when you have never laid eyes on the each other? I dare you to pick up this book and find out.

Why I picked up the book: I like author Rachel Cohn and have seen the movie based on their book "Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist". Dash & Lily was the next book for CY's Teachers as Readers book club so it gave me a good reason to finally read it.

Why I finished it: It was a fun and festive holiday book and a nice change from supernatural, undead fiction. Lily reminded me a bit of Mia from Meg Cabot's series "The Princess Diaries". I think it was her quirkiness but could have been the NYC setting. Dash, on the other hand, was very verbose and a bit quirky in his own way. Snarly, as other characters referred to him.

I'd give it to: readers looking for a little holiday cheer. Probably high school and up, because there is some mild language, a small reference to drinking, and some kissing.

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

View all my Goodreads reviews

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails