Thursday, December 21, 2006

Flipped by Wendelin Van Draanen

Ever wondered what the deal is with guys and girls? Why girls always seem to be boy crazy and why guys always seem to want to run away? And how no matter what happened, they always end up seeing a situation differently from each other? In Flipped, you’ll meet Bryce and Juli.
Bryce: All I ever wanted is for Juli Baker to leave me alone. For her to back off --you know, just give me some space.
It all started the summer before second grade when our moving van pulled into her neighborhood. And since we’re now about done with eighth grade, that, my friend, makes more than half a decade of strategic avoidance and social discomfort.
She didn’t just barge into my life. She barged and shoved and wedged her way into my life. Did we invite her to get into our moving van and start climbing over all the boxes? No! But that’s exactly what she did, taking over and showing off like only Juli Baker can.
(pg 1)
Juli: The first day I met Bryce Loski, I flipped. Honestly, one look at him and I became a lunatic. It’s his eyes. Something in his eyes. They’re blue, and framed in the blackness of his lashes, they’re dazzling. Almost breathtaking.
It’s been over six years now, and I learned long ago to hide my feelings, but oh, those first days. Those first years! I thought I would die for wanting to be with him.
Two days before second grade is when it started, although the anticipation began weeks before –ever since my mother told me that there was a family with a boy my age moving into the new house right across the street.
(pg11)
Once Bryce arrived, Juli couldn’t wait any longer. She ran right across the street to help. Bryce, however, saw Juli as a nuisance and ran straight to his room to hide. As so began their “friendship”. Bryce would hide and Juli would always be around. And then 8th grade arrives and both Bryce and Juli start seeing each other in a different light. What is it that has caused them to flip?

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails