Thursday, December 07, 2006

No More Dead Dogs by Gordon Korman

Old Shep, My Pal by Zack Paris is the most boring book I’ve ever read in my entire life. I did not have a favorite character. I hated everybody equally. The most interesting part came on the last page where it said “The End”. This book couldn’t be any lousier if it came with a letter bomb. I would not recommend it to my worst enemy. (page 4)

This is the book report Wallace Wallace gave his English teacher Mr. Fogelman. Before I tell you how Mr. Fogelman reacted, I must tell you a bit about Wallace. Wallace can’t lie. He believes in telling the brutal honest truth no matter what, which explains the book report I just read you. (He hates the fact that the dog always dies at the end of the book). Wallace is also a football player, the player who scored the winning touchdown last season, securing the championship for the Bedford Middle School Giants. He is worshipped by his classmates, which makes the suspension he received after refusing to rewrite the book report a thorn in everyone’s side.
Now let me tell you about Mr. Fogelman. Mr. Fogelman LOVES the book Old Shep, My Pal. Not only does he use this book in his English classes but he’s written it into a play, the exact play that is being performed by the Bedford Middle School drama club. So I bet you can imagine Mr. Fogelman’s reaction to Wallace’s book report. You’re right if you guessed that he was mad. He was so mad and upset that he’s given Wallace detention until he writes an acceptable book review.
In detention Wallace discovers many things. First, detention is in the gym where the drama club is rehearsing for the play Old Shep, My Pal. Second, he cannot play or practice football until he finished the book report, which is NEVER going to happen. Third, someone is trying to ruin the production but continuously pulling pranks, which get blamed on none other than Wallace. Finally, he discovers that while he dislikes the play he has some really great ideas to improve it.
Will Wallace get off of detention and back on the football field? Will Mr. Fogelman and his production of Old Shep, My Pal survive Wallace’s detention?

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails