Monday, March 01, 2010

The Lonely Hearts Club by Elizabeth Eulberg

The Lonely Hearts Club Penny Lane Bloom was born into Beatles mania. Her parents met the night John Lennon was shot and named their three daughters accordingly: Lucy, Rita, & Penny Lane (who was born on the anniversary of the Beatles arriving in the U.S.A.).

After being humiliated by her first love, Penny is done with boys. John, Paul, George, & Ringo are the only ones who've never let her down and now they are the answer to ending Penny's heart break and misery. The Lonely Hearts Club is not a group of soured and scorn teen girls. Instead it is a meeting of the minds, sorta like Girl Power central. Rather than spend your precious high school years pining for an imaginary prince (or being the fool on the hill), why not swear off dating (let it be), come together, and have fun with a little help from your friends?

The Lonely Hearts Club seems like the perfect solution, but what will happen when the good guys come along? Can you (or should you) swear off love? Find out if The Lonely Hearts Club is a revolution or the end.

Why I picked up this book: I liked the cover and the fact that the book was Beatles-themed. I also thought the idea of a Lonely Hearts Club was cool. I wish I had spent less of my school experience focused on boys and more time focused on building great & supportive friendships.

Why I finished it: It was a fast read and it kept me hooked.

I'd give it to: any teen girl, especially those who like reading Lauren Myracle or Sarah Dessen. It has a very positive message (girl power, Beatles style). Take care of yourself and your friends. Boyfriends are great to have, but don't lose yourself or your friendships over a relationship. Boyfriends shouldn't control you. Your sense of self-worth and your self-esteem shouldn't be based on having a boyfriend.

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

View all my Goodreads reviews >>

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails