Sunday, February 13, 2011

The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath




Name: Caitlin

Grade: 12

Book: The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath

An internship at a high-profile magazine is a stressful job- stressful and completely boring; at least that's Esther Greenwood's o[pinion of it. Esther Greenwood is an average person living in the 1960s, spending her time working, studying, going to school, and trying to find a nice boy to marry. Going through all of these norms, however, don't affect Esther the way they would affect most. The Bell Jar is about Esther's descent into madness and her eventual recovery from it. This books is considered an essential book to read and I would have to agree.
The book is written beautifully and starkly from Esther's point of view. Plath does not try to hide anything or give the reader any niceties about any situation. At one point in the book, Esther and many of the other character receive food poisoning that results in a vomiting sickness. After reading it, I was left with absolutely no appetite. Plath does a wonderful job of making Esther's opinions and thoughts tangible, as if the reader themselves is feeling and thinking them. It fascinating because Esther's madness is both obvious and undetectable at the same time; Esther doesn't think much anything of her morbid thoughts or peculiar behaviors, but to the reader it's blatant that Esther is not in any way alright.

I loved this book. I didn't realize how difficult it would be to put into words how much I enjoyed it because it was so excellently written. Plath really does a spectacular job of dragging the reader along without the reader noticing. The passages were, not unexpectedly, gorgeously written. Esther's madness is so tangible that it's almost as if it wasn't her under the bell jar, but you. The Bell Jar has definitely become one of my favorite books and I plan on reading it again, probably several times.

Why I picked up the book: I bought it on a whim at a used book store and one day decided to read it.

Why I finished it: It was so, so, so difficult for me to put it down. How could I not?

I'd give this book to: A very limited group of people. The book is very disturbing and very real. This books would be particularly good for people struggling with depression of their own or for people who love reading about morbid subjects.

I wouldn't give this book to: Anyone looking for a bright, happy book. This is really not it.


My Rating for this book: *****

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails