Saturday, July 16, 2011

Carter Finally Gets It

Will Carter is about to start his freshman year of high school. Nervous and completely lost, he has no idea how to fell about the situation. Carter is a stuttering ADD high school kid who has nothing to stand out. Because of his little speech impediment he also has a hard talking to any girl he meets. I feel that this book is a bit childish in the fact that it does sound like Carter is talking. In other words the book sounds like it was written by an eighth grader. To some it might seem pretty ingenious but I feel that the book could have been written better. On the back of the book it gives readers a warning that the book contains lewd humor. Let me say that I've heard sixth graders say worse things. Throughout the entire story the only lewd humor I read was Carter describing his little crush's boobs. Yes I said boobs deal with it. The entire story is basically Carter freaking out every time he feels pear pressure. Unless you have lived in a cave for all your life or your extremely religious and judgmental then this book is in no way as bad as you might think. Honestly I haven't been more disappointed since Catcher in the Rye. But the book had some great things too. It was high school. If their was any book more realistic to high school life it's this one. Carter deals and thinks like any other high school boy his age. If anything is was extremely relatable. I recommend it to teens around fifteen years old. The only problem I see is that it was written by a man from a completely different age group. Lets face it guys back then this was shocking, but today it's what happens every year. I give this book a solid 4/5. A funny read for young teens but a bit of bore as you get older. Check it out if your interested.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails