Monday, September 12, 2011

Not Afraid of Life: My Journey So FarNot Afraid of Life: My Journey So Far by Bristol Palin

Not Afraid of Life: My Journey So FarBristol Palin is the eldest daughter of former Alaska governor and 2008 Republican vice-presidential candidate, Sarah Palin. Even before her mother received the nomination, Bristol was a typical teenage girl, a hard working student-athlete, interested in family, the outdoors, and boys. Bristol believed that sex was reserved for marriage. But like many teens, she found herself in a relationship that tested her boundaries and resulted in an unplanned pregnancy during her senior year of high school. Unlike other teen parents, Bristol's pregnancy and baby-daddy woes were broadcast worldwide. This book is her side of the story.

Why I picked up the book: I'm almost embarrassed to admit I picked this up and continued reading it. However I was interested for several reasons. Just like when I read her mother's book, I think it is important to learn about some of these so called "celebrities" before so harshly judging them. I also wanted to know more about Bristol's abstinence message.

Why I finished it: Overall, I think the point of the book was good albeit too long and not very well edited.

Bristol was very brave in putting her story out in public, talking openly & honestly about her struggles with teenage pregnancy & motherhood, and trying to see the good in Levi but having to realize she can't fix him. I think a lot of teens struggle with that. I know I did when I was a teen in a similar situation.

I didn't like the fact that Bristol never mentions considering adoption. I don't know if she ever did but too many teens & people in general disregard it, thinking they have two choices, abortion or parenting.

I felt that Bristol spent too much time talking about her mom, although I see that she was trying to show that she wanted a similar childhood and family for her son. (Most teens probably haven't Sarah Palin's book, so it might not be as repetitive.)

I also wish that Bristol would have included more about her future plans in terms of schooling. She talked about wanting to finish high school (which she did) and then learn a trade. But then she became "famous" and it sounds like she doesn't even work at the doctor's office anymore. She may be the exception and be able to support her son on her DWTS winnings, book deal, & other tabloid deals, but it isn't realistic especially if the point of the book was to encourage other teen parents.

I'd give to it: Teen moms or pregnant teens, teen girls (especially those drawn to the "bad guy"), and adults who work with teens.

I think it might be nice for teens to read and have someone to relate to, in terms of saying you want to remain pure until marriage and then making a mistake. It happens to the best of us, and it is important to pick yourself back up, rather than beating yourself up about it.

My rating: 2 of 5 stars

View all my Goodreads reviews

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails