Thursday, March 15, 2012

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1)Welcome to the 74th Annual Hunger Games! This yearly event is the height of Reality TV. Think "Fear Factor" and "The Amazing Race" meet "Survivor".

"The Hunger Games" are hosted by the Capitol of Panem, the nation formerly known as North America, and is the punishment for the uprising of the districts against the Capitol. Each of the 12 remaining Districts is required to send 2 tributes who have been chosen during the Reaping. One that day a lottery system selects one boy and one girl between the ages of 12 and 18 to participate. In the case of this year's finalists from District 12, Katniss has stepped forward to take the place of the chosen tribute, her younger sister Prim.

Here is how the competition works. The 24 tributes (contestants) are placed in an outdoor arena specially designed by the game makers who have watched the tributes train and prepare. Once in the arena the tributes must do whatever is necessary to survive. The last tribute standing wins.

The competition is televised live so everyone in the country can watch and cheer on their tributes. The winning tribute will return home to a life of luxury. Their district will also receive a year's worth of food.

"Happy Hunger Games! And may the odds be ever in your favor!"

Why I picked it up: I have been meaning to re-read the series since "Mockingjay" was released in 2010, because I couldn't remember all the details. The release of the movie & our party here at the library were a good reason to start again. (I listened to the audio the first time, read book this time.)

Why I finished it: I was hooked. Even though I was going slow and taking notes, I couldn't put it down. I could see the arena, smell the fire, etc. Even though I knew the ending, I kept rooting for Katniss and hoping Prim wouldn't be reaped.

I'd give it to: fans of dystopian and "The Maze Runner". Readers looking for a strong character. People who have time to read a whole series! Readers looking for a book they can't put down. People who go to watch the movie and want to know more about where it all started.

My rating: 5 of 5 stars

View all my Goodreads reviews

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails