Tuesday, February 28, 2012

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

The Fault in Our StarsHazel is not your average teenager. Even though she is only sixteen, Hazel has been out of high school for three years and is taking college classes. At her parent's request, she also attends weekly support group meetings for teens with cancer. Hazel was diagnosed at age thirteen with stage IV thyroid cancer which spread to her lungs. She almost died but thanks to an experimental drug and round the clock oxygen therapy, Hazel is terminal but alive.

During one support group meeting, Hazel spies a new guy who won't stop staring at her. This handsome gentleman is Augustus Waters, age 17. Augustus is a survivor who lost his leg but not his humor, wisdom, or thirst for life and truth.

Hazel and Augustus begin a fated friendship/relationship. Hazel shares her favorite book, "An Imperial Affliction" by Peter Van Houten, and Augustus shares his love of sniper video games. When Hazel mentions that she'd like to meet Mr. Van Houten and find out what happens after the book abruptly ends, Augustus has a plan.

Do you believe in fate? True love? Even if we aren't promised tomorrow, someday, or forever, are you living your best life today?

Why I picked up the book: I love John Green and I've read his first two books, "Looking for Alaska" and "The Abundance of Katherines". I think he is one of the best voices in literary YA.

Why I finished it: While the topic is heavy (teens with terminal cancer), the author injects humor, quirkiness, and fun into the novel. I've heard other reviewers say they don't think real teenagers talk the way the Green's characters do but I think that is part of the author's genius. He writes the above-average intelligence character and appeals to the more literary readers. (Secret: I've actually read this book twice. I finished it and immediately wanted to read it again. I did but waited a month before doing so.)

I'd give it to: John Green fans, who will definitely not be disappointed.

My rating: 5 of 5 stars

View all my Goodreads reviews

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails