Friday, February 24, 2012

Michael Vey: The Prisoner of Cell 25 by Richard Paul Evans

Michael Vey: The Prisoner of Cell 25Michael Vey has always known he is different. Michael and his mother have moved a lot, most recently to Idaho, in an attempt to protect him. Because he is small, Michael is often the target of bullies. One day Michael decides enough is enough and fights back in his own unique way, by giving his three attackers a small electric shock. You see, Michael is electric. He doesn't know how this came to be and his mother has convinced him to keep it a secret, although he has told his uber-brilliant best friend Ostin.

As it turns out, Michael isn't quite as unique as he had previously thought. Taylor, a cheerleader at his school, witnesses him shock the bullies and shows him her own ability. The two of them along with Ostin form a group and call themselves the Electroclan. They are on a mission to find out where their powers came from and why they have them. The group soon uncovers part of the mystery, but in the process brings their whereabouts to the attention of the people who have been searching for them. Michael and Taylor are only two of many with electric abilities and the Elgen Academy wants them and will stop at nothing, including kidnapping and murdering, to get them.

Why I picked up the book: It was recommended to me by a teen and seemed like it might be a good possibility for an upcoming One Community One Book: Middle School.

Why I finished it: It is a fast read. Even though I wasn't super wowed by the writing at the beginning of the book, before I knew it I was halfway through.

I'd give it to: fans of "I Am Number Four"; teens, especially boys, looking for a fun, fast-paced, exciting read. It will be a series, with the second book being released in August 2012.

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

View all my Goodreads reviews

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails