Tuesday, February 14, 2012

The Outcasts of 19 Schuyler Place by E.L. Konigsburg

The Outcasts of 19 Schuyler PlaceHave you ever uttered the phrase “I prefer not to”? Like I prefer not to take out the garbage or I prefer not to eat tomatoes. I prefer not to make my bed or go out in freezing cold weather. How about I prefer not to do that math assignment or my homework? I’m sure at one point or another we’ve all preferred not to do something. Margaret Rose Kane would have preferred to spend her summer with her parents in Peru or with her eccentric uncles at 19 Schuyler Place. But neither her parents nor the Uncles had any intentions of her spending the summer with them. The Uncles suggested that since she is an only child the experience of camp would be beneficial to her. So although she preferred not to, Margaret Rose began the process of choosing and applying for summer camp. And that is how Margaret Rose ended up at Camp Talequa. But because she prefers not to join in camp activities, it isn’t long before Uncle Alexander comes to her rescue, springs her from the tortures of summer camp and whisks Margaret Rose back to the tranquility of 19 Schuyler Place. Margaret Rose loves her Uncles and their house. She especially loves the towers they have built in their backyard. For over 45 years, the Uncles have created these masterpieces out of steel, glass, crystals, and a multitude of paint shades. But as Margaret Rose soon learns, not everyone sees these towers as art. The Homeowners Association views them as a safety hazard and a deterioration to property values. And while Margaret Rose preferred not to participate in camp activities, she is determined to find a way to save the outcast towers at 19 Schuyler Place.

Why I picked up the book: The first time I read it, I was drawn in by the cover which has the pattern of rose petals with the tower and by the fact that I love the name Schuyler (pronounced Skyler).

Why I finished the book: I'd prefer not to say. Kidding.

I'd recommend it to: readers looking for a nice, clean story and something that makes you think about what you believe in. If they have read "Silent to the Bone", I think they will appreciate getting Margaret's back story. I haven't read it but will pick it up next.

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

View all my Goodreads reviews

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails