Wednesday, May 02, 2012

Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins

Mockingjay (The Hunger Games, #3)
SPOILER ALERT: Don't read this review if you haven't read The Hunger Games or Catching Fire.

When we last saw Katniss, the Mockingjay had been lifted out of the arena into a hovercraft and whisked away from the Quarter Quell leaving readers with many questions.

Who rescued her and where did they take her? Who else survived? Where the rumors of District 13's survival true? And most importantly, who does Katniss really love?

In war, it can often be hard to determine who is victim and who is the aggressor as well as who ultimately wins and loses.

Why I picked up the book: I waited until now to read it, giving the excuse that I had a new baby when it was released in 2010 and couldn't recall the details from the first two books. I reread the series now since the Hunger Games movie was just released.

Why I finished it: Now I realize it was because like with other great series, (ie. Harry Potter), I wasn't ready to let go. Amazingly in two years I only heard one spoiler and it was a month ago. Even knowing that piece of information, I still had to know how it would happen. And it was probably for the better that I knew or I might have either flung the book across the room or bawled my eyes out.

I know some people didn't like this installment as well as the others but I'd give it either a 4.5 or 5. It didn't have the same action packed suspense as HG or CF, yet you get to see Katniss grown into herself and realize her affect on others. As she hears what Delly and others say, I found myself reflecting on how others might view me as opposed to how I view myself... very important for teens to read and see in their own lives.

I loved Collins' clear picture of the horrors of war and power. Haymitch's quote to Katniss near the end about the horrors of war and humans being fickle and selfish was great (p379).

Even thought it wasn't quite a typical beach/vacation read, I'm glad I took it and took the time to absorb it. Letting go of Katniss won't happen easily (just like with Harry & crew). I will definitely read this series again.

I'd give it to: teen and adult fans of the series.

My rating: 5 of 5 stars

View all my reviews

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails