Wednesday, May 02, 2012

A Stolen Life by Jaycee Dugard

A Stolen Life

On the morning of June 10, 1991, eleven-year-old Jaycee Dugard was abducted on her way to the bus stop and simply vanished. Eighteen years later, on August 29, 2009, Jaycee was "found". This is Jaycee's story of her incredible survival.

Why I picked up the book: I'd been wanting to read it since it was released. I like reading memoirs, true crime, and "celebrity" stories. This one was particularly interesting because she is my age and I can't imagine having survived.

Why I finished it: Jaycee tells her story very openly and candidly. I was sucked in. I could feel her heartbreak, fear, and survival instincts. I read it on the way home from vacation and it was a very quick read. As a parent (and someone who works with teens) the book made me think about not only how hard it would be to lose your child but also how hard Jaycee struggled to protect her children, born into that awful situation, but still so innocent, precious, and worthy of life.

I'd give it to: older teens and adults. The book is very inspirational and a true tale of survival. Warning: there is some language and violence/rape.

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

View all my reviews

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails