Tuesday, June 05, 2012

Ship Breaker by Paolo Bacigalupi

Ship Breaker (Ship Breaker, #1)
Nailer is a ship breaker. He lives in the region of the US, formerly the Gulf Coast, and spends his days climbing through the duct work of old ships, scavenging for copper wire and any other scrap that could be sold, and dreaming of one day owning and sailing clipper ships. When a horrible hurricane devastates the beach where Nailer lives, he and friend Pima discover a wrecked clipper ship. This could be the opportunity they have been waiting for. They could make a fortune off of the wreckage. But the discovery of a beautiful, rich, and undead girl leaves Nailer in a bind. Should he attempt to save her, and risk losing the wealth to be made from the materials in the wreckage? 

Why I picked up the book: It won the Printz Award in 2011 so it has been on my to-read-someday list. The teacher book club I participate in is reading it so I have a great reason to read it.

Why I finished it: This isn't my typical reading choice but I was hooked. I wanted to know how, or if, they would survive the horrible weather. I was hoping for answers as to what happened to our world for it to end up this way.

I'd give it to: fans of science-fiction, possibly reads who enjoyed "The Maze Runner" due to the unique language in that world. Fans of dystopian, where characters are struggling to survive and technology is non-existent.

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

View all my Goodreads reviews

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails