Tuesday, June 05, 2012

War Horse by Michael Morpurgo

War Horse (War Horse, #1)
When Albert's father buys young Joey at an auction, Albert becomes the only human who can tame, lead, and train him. So when Albert's father sells Joey to the army, both Joey and Albert are distraught. Albert promises to find him and bring him home. Will Joey survive the horrors of World War I and find his way back to Albert? Discover the life of a "War Horse".

Why I picked up the book: Afternoon Book Club group wants to read it for either a book club or "read it see it", so I had to preview. In one sitting, I'm halfway through and am liking it. It wouldn't normally be my first choice of reading material, but I will definitely finish it.

Why I finished it: It is a fast read. I found myself forgetting the narrator was a horse. I know very little about World War I and like Joey, I found myself hoping it will end soon and he will make it back to Albert or Emilie.

I'd give it to: middle schoolers, especially those looking for horse stories. I liked the fact that the narrator is the horse, which you don't see very often.  I'd also give it to guys who want a historical fiction/war novel, especially if they want World War I.  I would give it to readers who enjoyed "Cracker: The Best Dog in Vietnam" by Cynthia Kadohata

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

View all my Goodreads reviews

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails