Monday, August 13, 2012

The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman Alexie

The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian My name is Junior and this is my story.  I’m a member of the Spokane Indian Tribe.  I’m a traitor and an outsider.  I live on the rez but leave everyday to attend a white school over 20 miles away. I’m the son of an alcoholic and the brother of a girl who’d rather live in the basement than follow her dreams.  I’m poor but so is everyone on the rez. I was born with water on my brain, wear ugly, thick, black plastic glasses.  I’ve been to 42 funerals in my 14 years of life.  I play basketball and I draw cartoons, because words are too limited and pictures are something anyone can understand.  This is my Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian.  

Why I picked up this book: We chose it for our second book in our "Never Too Old" YA for Adults book club. I also read it in 2008 for a book club at Roosevelt.

Why I finished it: It's funny, especially since I grew up in Riverton and practically lived on the Wind River Indian Reservation. It's heartbreaking, watching Junior battle to hold on to his heritage and the hope of a better future. I love the comics.

I'd give it to: adults and older teens (as there is some irreverent humor, but totally representative of a teenage boy). Readers who want to laugh, cry, and learn to understand someone else.
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

View all my Goodreads reviews

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails