Tuesday, January 19, 2010

On The Wings of Heroes by Richard Peck

On The Wings of Heroes What makes someone a hero? Is it the feats of a mythical figure like Superman, who swoops out the sky to save the day? Is it your favorite sports star who makes the impossible catch to win the game? What about the heroes that are much closer to home? The heroes who put their lives on the line everyday to provide for us and to protect us.

Davy Bowman would tell you that his heroes are his father and his brother Bill. Dad runs the service station but always has time for his boys. Bill is in the Army Air Corp and must fly 25 missions over Europe. The 1940s are tough, with War Rations and mothers working to support the war effort. Take a look at what it must have been like to grow up on the wings of heroes.

Why I picked this book up: It is a part of the We the People "Picturing America" grant and we are using it for an Afternoon Book Club.

Why I finished the book: It was a fast read. I enjoyed the humor which took the edge off of the dismal outlook of war. It made me think about the blinders we are lucky enough to have during childhood. I also thought a lot about how patriotic people were during WWII and how different it is with the two current wars we are fighting.

I'd give this book to: Middle schoolers (especially boys) looking for a fast, easy read with a mixture of comedy and war or anyone looking a World War II historical fiction novel.

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

View all my Goodreads reviews >>

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails