Saturday, February 20, 2010

Not My Daughter by Barbara Delinsky

Not My Daughter Teen pregnancy is again front and center in the news. Many movies and books are being delivered to audiences following the 2008 pregnancy pact scandal in a Gloucester, Massachusetts high school. So far, 2010 has brought us the Lifetime movie "The Pregnancy Pact", http://www.mylifetime.com/movies/the-pregnancy-pact and this book Not My Daughter.

The three girls making the pregnancy pact are bright, successful young women (high school seniors) and one of those girls, Lily, is the daughter of the high school principal, Susan. Ironically (or maybe not), Susan was a single teenage mother herself, though her pregnancy with Lily was definitely not planned and Susan is having a tough time accepting Lily's news.

Their small town of Zaganack, Maine is also shocked by the news of these three girls choosing to become pregnant and wants someone to blame. Will Susan's career as principal survive? Are Susan and the other mother's responsible for their daughter's decision-making? What does it really mean to be a good mother? A good parent?

Why I picked this book: I have been reading a lot of YA books about teen pregnancy and I wanted to know how it would be handled in adult fiction. I had also just watched "The Pregnancy Pact" and wanted to see another angle.

Why I finished the book: It was a fast, easy read. I wish the author would have spent more time focused on the other girls in the pact, although I understand why Susan & Lily were front and center.

I'd give this book to: mothers, daughters, and educators. Readers who like Jodi Picoult but are looking for something a bit shorter.

My rating: 3 stars-Liked It

View all my Goodreads reviews >>

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails