Wednesday, January 19, 2011


The Book Thief

by: Markus Zusak

Briana, 12th grade

The book thief is the story
of a young German girl living in Nazi Germany. The story opens to the girl, Liesel Memminger, holding her dead brother on the train ride into a town called Molching so that her brother and her can meet their new foster family. While stopped, Leisel and her mother find a few gravediggers and ask them to bury the dead boy. As they leave, Leisel notices that one has dropped a book, which she promptly steals and keeps hidden. This is the first of many books Leisel steals, whether saving them from bonfires, stealing them from important households, ect. Leisel Meminger is the Book Thief.
While living with her foster family, Leisel discovers her hatred for the furher Hitler, her love for reading, how to keep secrets, and how to provide food and items for her family, all the while putting on a charade of a good German girl. Slowly, Leisel's world is utterly shaken when first, her family hides a jew, second, she gets caught stealing, and three, when those she loves begin to die off because of the hatred Hitler brings upon his country. The book thief is a great account of Nazi Germany, and one girl's fight against conformity.

Who would I give this book too: I loved this story, and know that many people would feel the same. I would give this novel to anyone looking for a good story. This novel is filled with action and at the same time sadness that will hit the heart of all who read it.

Why I picked up the book: Many of my friends have read this book, and suggested it to me. I have only heard good things about this novel, so I figured I might as well read it.

Why I finished the book:I was a bit skeptical about this book once I began reading it, because it took me a while to understand the style in which this novel is written. The speaker in the novel is also one I never would have expected, so that adds yet another twist. Overall, I really enjoyed this book, so there was never a question of not finishing it.

My rating: **** Really liked it!



No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails