Wednesday, January 05, 2011

Savvy by Ingrid Law

SavvyEver feel like your family was out of the ordinary? Not quite like any of your classmates' families. Let me introduce you to the Beaumonts. They may be one of the most unique families around. The members of this family are born with a savvy, which is revealed on a person's thirteenth birthday. What is a savvy, you ask? A savvy is like a magical power or a special gift. An ability to do something that normal people aren't able to do.

Momma's savvy is perfection. Rocket is electric. Fish has a way with water and his emotions can create huge storms. Grandpa moves mountains and other tracts of land and Grandma was able to trap radio waves and can them in jars for future listening.

While it may seem like having a savvy would be a great thing, it can also be a burden. Savvies are hard to control and even harder to explain the damage caused by them to those without a savvy.

Mississippi, known as Mibs, is closing in on her thirteenth birthday and is excited to discover her savvy. Poppa is involved in a devastating car accident right before her special day and all Mibs can hope for is that her savvy will be something that can save him.

Why I picked up the book: I liked the idea of everyone having a savvy (special power). The book has been on my to-read list since it was awarded a Newbery Honor Medal in 2009. I thought it might be a good choice for our middle school book club, as the group reads a wide range of books and may have missed it on their own.

Why I finished the book: I had to know if Mibs and the group would make it to Poppa and how their adventure would turn out.

I'd give this book to: tweens and teens looking for a good story and something that won't make you blush.

Savvy is a 2010-2011 Indian Paintbrush nominee.

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

View all my Goodreads reviews

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails