Wednesday, January 19, 2011

The Brothers Torres by Coert Voorhees

The Brothers TorresWork, family, friends, girls, explosives, respect, loyalty, gangs. How do you find your place in the world? What does it take to become a man? Frankie Torres is about to discover that in life there is no clear line between good and evil. Sometimes you had to decide what you believe in and stand for.

Why I picked up the book: It is one of three titles for the 2011 Great Stories CLUB grant, which provided the books for our book club at Roosevelt High School.

Why I finished it: It was required. I probably wouldn't have finished the book otherwise. It is more of a character profile and didn't have a lot of action. It also uses a lot of Spanish phrases, slang, and meal names that I had to look up (since there wasn't a glossary). This one might be hard for our group, who may not be great readers.

I'd give the book to: Guys who are trying to find their way and not be defined by their siblings or by cultural expectations.

My rating: 2 of 5 stars

View all my Goodreads reviews

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails