Tuesday, March 15, 2011

After Ever AfterAfter Ever After by Jordan Sonnenblick

If you've read Drums, Girls, and Dangerous Pie, then you might remember Steven's little brother Jeffrey, "That Boy Who Had Cancer". At age four, Jeffrey Alper was diagnosed with cancer and underwent three years of treatment. Although he is in remission and past that critical five year mark, the treatments had residual effects. Jeffrey walks with a limp/drag, and it takes him a bit more time than normal to process information. And much to his father's chagrin, Jeffrey stinks at math. It is now 8th grade and life is throwing all sorts of curveballs. Steven, Jeffrey's brother, has decided to move to Africa to join a drumming circle and find himself. A smokin hot California girl named Lindsey Abraham has moved to NJ and Jeffrey is in love and even more tongue-tied. Oh yeah, and the state of New Jersey has decreed that all 8th graders must pass the state standardized tests in order to graduate and move on to the 9th grade. Jeffrey's best friend Tad is also a cancer survivor. Tad has a plan to tutor Jeffrey and Jeffrey is hoping to get Tad up out of his wheelchair to walk across the stage at graduation. Everyone wants a happily ever after but this is no fairy tale. What really happens After Ever After?

Why I picked up the (audio)book: I loved Drums, Girls, and Dangerous Pie so I wanted to see how Jeffrey was doing 8 years later. I decided to listen because I loved the narrator Nick Podehl and since it was only a 4 hour recording, I could listen to it driving to work and home.

Why I finished the book: I could listen to Nick Podehl read the stock report and still laugh. I wanted to know if Jeffrey would graduate 8th grade and defeat the horrible beast that is standardized testing.

I'd give it to: fans of DGADP. Guys who want realistic, humorous fiction.

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

View all my Goodreads reviews

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails