Sunday, March 20, 2011

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins





Name:
Caitlin

Grade:
12

Book:
The Hunger Games

Author: Suzanne Collins

Katniss Everdeen is a typical girl living in district 12 or maybe not so much. Katniss is an extraordinary girl living in district twelve. She is smart, loving, thick-skinned and will do anything to protect her family. Her personality makes her descision to take her sister's place in the Hunger Games an obvious one. The Hunger games is a horrifying spectacle put on by the oppressive Capitol, an even in which two people from each district are forced to fight and kill to save their own lives: only one can survive. Katniss is soon wrapped up in a game of personal survival in the Hunger Games, fighting to save her own life so she can get back to her family. Of course, nothing is simple in the Hunger Games and soon Katniss finds herself befriending Peeta. Their friendship dims her will to live and soon surpasses that urge; Katniss is soon not so determined to save her own life as she is determined to save his. The horror of the games drags on as Katniss fights for Peeta's survival and soon climaxes with a shocking ending that leaves readers dying to read more.

The Hunger Games was an pretty good book. The reason I don't use fantastic or amazing is simply because the most enthralling part of the book didn't happen until Katniss entered the games. I felt that the book before the games was not nearly as intriguing or exciting as the games themselves. The entire plot within the games, however, was an I-can't-put-this-book-down situation. Collins writes with urgency about Katniss's survival and it pushes the book forward at an alarming rate. The rest of the book paled in comparison to how wonderfully written and composed the Hunger Games were. I loved the idea of Panem, the continent they lived on, and I loved the politics Collins slipped in regarding the Capitol and how it controls it's citizens. Overall, the book was very impressive. I liked it well enough to read the next one and I'm very excited to read the final book in the trilogy. This books was definitely the best book I have read all year in terms of something I couldn't put down.

Why I picked up the book:
I thought it was about time I got on the Hunger Games train, if you know what I mean.

Why I finished it: I could not put down

I'd give this books to: Anyone looking for an interesting and fast-paced read. OR anyone into sci-fi or post-apocalyptic stories.

My Rating for this book: ****

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails