Wednesday, May 11, 2011

I Am Number Four by Pittacus Lore


Name: Krystiana Graham

Grade: 12th grade

Title: I am Number Four

Author: Pittacus Lore

Review: This is a story that is showing up everywhere. A new motion picture, a new book, and a fantastic read, if you ask me. I am Number Four is about a boy, similar to the youth of today - yet different in many ways as well. The first thing you learn about John, is there are a few things that make him special. One. He's one of the nine. Number Four to be exact (cue title here), and he's one of the nine surviving Garde, a subsection of a race of humanoids on the planet Lorien. Along with these nine Garde came nine guardians, the other subspecies of humanoids called CĂȘpan. Sent to earth after their planet was attacked by another, much more foul race of creatures the surviving 18 Loric must split up into groups of two. One Garde, one guardian. And they must survive on earth - blending in; and wait for the Garde's legacies to appear so that they might be able to fight back against the aliens that destroyed their planet. Legacies are part of the Garde, which make them special. Super powers given to them by their planet, do to the Loric's desire to keep the planet alive and safe. These Legacies help the Garde fight, to protect Lorien. And until the Legacies develop, the nine young Gardes are in serious trouble.

At the beginning of the book, however, you learn that the nine Garde have actually been lowered to only six remaining, one, two, and three having already met their fate. Now it's John who is fighting for his life - because he is in danger. He is number four. He is next. If they find him, he is dead. You follow the story, seeing it from John's general perspective, watching as he experiences the difficulties of being a Garde fighting for his life, trying to fit in with the humans, and discovering just who he is. You see the strength with in him, the courage, and selfless-ness he fights with. And you can easily find a connection with this one of a kind hero. And no one else but Lore could have portrayed an idea to such an excellent extent. This book is worth reading. Who knows, maybe the movie's not that half bad either.

Why I picked this book up: My mother was the one who actually picked this book out, for herself none the less. When she had finished it in one day, I knew it was a book worth looking into. That, and my mother basically pushed it into my hands.

Why I finished it: Many have asked me, since I finished the book 'Is it a good book, or a good author?' This is a question I stumble over, because i have no answer for it. I absolutely love the story, I shan't lie about that. I've never read anything like it. It keeps you pinned in, and fawning over the idea of what will happen next. I finished it, not because you have to finish every book that you come across, or be left unsatisfied, but because I constantly had to know 'What is going to happen next.' And I hope, one day soon, I'll be able to figure out the answer to the question. Is it a good book, or a good author. Maybe it's both. I'm still not sure.

I'd give this book to: I'd give this book to anyone who loves to read, merely for the fact that it's an interesting, and captivating book. But beyond that - I'd give it to those interested in the extraterrestrial. Because, this book has MORE then enough of that. and yet, it is still far from 'Sci-fi.' Really, this is a book anyone can sink their teeth into, and be left asking for more.

Rating: Five out of Five; Hello wonderful. This book has it all. Awesome characters, a plot that keeps you hooked, and a story line that flows perfectly. I hate giving fives, because many take it as a sign of no need for improvement, but for this one, it has all the makes of a five, and I won't degrade it to anything less.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails