Friday, May 13, 2011

Marcelo In The Real World by Francisco X. Stork

Marcelo In The Real WorldMarcelo likes his world just the way it is. He lives in a tree house, attends a special school called Paterson where he helps with the horses and is accepted regardless of his differences. He hears music in his mind and remembers Bible verses. Marcelo is 17 years old and has a form of autism called Aspergers.

Marcelo's father Arturo decides that Marcelo needs to spend the summer before his senior year working in "the real world". Although Marcelo already had a job caring for and training the ponies at Paterson, it has been decided that Marcelo will work in the mail room at Arturo's law office. Arturo wants Marcelo to learn how to interact with people outside of Paterson and how to live by the rules of the real world.

The real world might have more in store for Marcelo than even Arturo imagined. Right & wrong, good & bad, trust, jealously, love, honesty. How will the real world change Marcelo? How will Marcelo change the real world?

Why I picked up the book: I've heard many positive things about the book and I was looking for something different (not supernatural, sci-fi, or abuse) for our teen book club.

Why I'm finishing it: Makes me think about how we treat people who are different. Is anyone really normal? Seeing the "real world" through Marcelo's eyes makes me wonder if we would all be better off not being "normal".

I'd give it to: high school students, parents, teachers, librarians. Right now I think it would be good for graduating seniors trying to find their place in the world.

My rating: 5 of 5 stars

View all my Goodreads reviews

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails