Thursday, July 19, 2012

Smile by Raina Telgemeier

SmileIt seems like most of us aren't lucky enough to make it to adulthood without the help a little orthodontic work. Raina was at the beginning stages of getting braces when an accident accelerated the process. Running home after a girl scout meeting ends with Raina tripping and knocking out her two front teeth. When the doctor is unable to successfully reinsert the teeth, Raina begins the painful process of having her teeth pulled, twisted, and re-spaced, with the hope of the perfect smile. Adolescence is hard enough with having to survive middle and high school without adding the pain and humiliation of braces. Will Raina ever be able to just smile, accept herself, and enjoy her experiences?

Why I picked up the book: I've heard great things about it and was looking for something new for our middle school book club.

Why I finished it: The book made me flashback to having orthodontic work when I was in grade school. I wanted to make sure that Raina survived her own identity struggles as well as her horrible "friends".

I'd give it to: Anyone who grew up in the late 80s/90s, middle schoolers, parents & teachers.

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

View all my reviews

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails