Monday, September 24, 2012

Drama by Raina Telgemeier

Drama Callie is a self-proclaimed theater geek but while she loves theater, she knows her place is creating the stage not performing on it. If she isn't working after school as part of the stage crew, you can find her at the bookstore visiting her favorite book of Broadway stage photographs; visiting because she can't afford to bring it home. This year the drama department's production is "Moon Over Mississippi". Callie knows the songs by heart and is determined to create a Broadway worthy set, despite the fact that they are on a middle school budget. Meanwhile Callie finds herself in the middle of her own middle school boy drama. Why are the guys you like are always taken, gay, acting strange, or just plain not interested?

The book is set up in "Acts", which adds to the theater effect.

Why I picked up the book: I really liked the author's first graphic novel "Smile". Since I don't read a lot of graphic novels, I wanted to branch out and try her new one.

Why I finished it: It was a fast, fun, easy read with strong characters.

I'd give it to: fans of Telgemeier's other books; fans of theater and/or Glee. Girls looking for books that have a strong female who isn't lost because she doesn't get the boy.

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

View all my Goodreads reviews

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails