Wednesday, January 09, 2013

A Letter to My Dog: Notes to Our Best FriendsA Letter to My Dog: Notes to Our Best Friends by Robin Layton

A Letter to My Dog: Notes to Our Best Friends Why I picked up the book: Who doesn't love cute animals? I love my own lab retriever and two cats, who were all my first "children". This book contains letters from celebrities and regular folks (kids & adults) to their best furry friends, expressing love and gratitude.

Why I finished it: It is a super fast read and gives you warm fuzzies. The photography is great. Even though I'm not a fan of tiny dogs, I wanted to cuddle them all. It makes you want to write your own (see mine below)

I'd give it to: dog lovers. Readers looking for an easy, feel-good book.

My rating: 3 of 5 stars

View all my Goodreads reviews


Here's Jenn's "Letter to My Dog":
Makai (Jenn's dog)

Dear Makai aka Kai, Kai-Kai, Boof, No, My beautiful blonde boy;

I can't believe it has been almost four years since I brought you home from the shelter. I don't know what I was thinking that day, other than the fact that you had the cutest little face and were so cuddly. You were our last furry baby before the real one came along and you helped fill the gap in our lives while we were desperately waiting for him.

I'm still not happy that you decided after three weeks that you didn't want to come back inside. I had almost convinced Daddy that you could sleep on the floor next to me every night (or secretly on the bed when he worked!) and then you ditched me. But those three weeks of getting up with you all night prepared me for having a baby!

Thank you for being our protector and for loving X-man. Even though your barking drives me crazy and used to scare him, I know it is in your nature to protect us and to let us know you need attention. (Just stop barking when we walk out of the room and X is still there. I'm the parent and I didn't leave him!) I wish you wouldn't shred and eat everything with stuffing (toys, blankets) and that you would actually sleep in the two big doghouses we bought you. I'm afraid someone will turn us in when you are sleeping outside when it is 20 below. It is so hard to explain to humans that you choose to do that. I'd love it if you could be inside with us sometimes but your constant shedding is bad for Dad's allergies and you just won't sit down. You turn two circles and want back out again. I'm sorry I told Dad that you sleep in the swing but it was just so cute. Don't worry we aren't mad. At least someone uses it.

We call you the dove and squirrel whisperer. When we moved to our new home, I think they followed you. I just wish you didn't smell like their droppings. We didn't even know that you would secretly let yourself out of the yard and go for walks until we moved and the old neighbor ratted you out. I know you love us though because when the fence at our new house blew down, you could have run off and found a better family, but instead you ran around the block to the front door. Just please don't escape again on the nights when Daddy and X leave town. You are supposed to be here keeping me safe.

I'm sorry we haven't gotten you a doggy sibling. You have finally started calming down and I can't even imagine raising another one of you. Don't get me wrong. I love you but you are all the dog we can handle. (We think the mix in your lab retriever blood might be miniature pony!) Besides if we had two, it would be harder to find pet sitters who love to come play with you and feed you lots of extra kibble. Plus I can only lift one lazy 100 pound dog into the back of the car. (How is it possible you don't know how to jump? Wait, nevermind. Don't learn.)

xoxo, Your crazy mama

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails