Wednesday, January 02, 2013

Still Lolo: A Spinning Propeller, a Horrific Accident, and a Family's Journey of Hope by Lauren Scruggs

Still Lolo: A Spinning Propeller, a Horrific Accident, and a Family's Journey of Hope Lauren (Lo) Scruggs was a typical 23-year-old woman. She was finding her place in the world after college and beginning a career in the fashion industry, as a journalist, blogger and founder of the online LoLo Magazine. But one fateful evening in early December 2011 changed everything. On that Sunday evening, Lo was flying in a friend's small prop plane looking at Christmas lights. She stepped out of the plane and the spinning propeller took her left hand and left eye, but not her fighting spirit.

Why I picked up the book: I hadn't heard Lo's story (which is weird since I read People Magazine religiously). However I saw the review for this book and thought it sounded great.

Why I finished it: It has a lot of depth and is well written. I like the fact that her parents and sister also tell the story. I really liked how Lo wasn't all "woe is me". She didn't let the accident take her fight and determination. Their faith was nicely blended in without being overbearing.

I'd give it to: Fans of Bethany Hamilton's book "Soul Surfer". Bethany wrote the foreword to this book. Teens and adults looking for an inspirational story. Lo spends a lot of time talking about the struggles of finding herself and her direction in college and after, which teens and younger adults can definitely identify with.

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

View all my Goodreads reviews

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails