Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Period 8 by Chris Crutcher

Period 8 Period 8 is a group of high school students that meet in Mr Logs' classroom during lunch. Logs is the teacher/mentor every student needs and deserves to have in their lives. He listens, supports, and cares about his students and only offers advice as a last resort. Period 8 is a safe haven where any subject or conversation is fair game. The only rule is complete honesty (no bs) and like in AA, what is said in Period 8 stays in Period 8.

Paulie Bomb is a senior swimmer, who enjoys spending his early mornings and late afternoons racking up mileage in the freezing lake with Logs and even his girlfriend Hannah. Paulie makes a mistake and when he comes clean to Hannah, she kicks him to the curb and doesn't want a petty explanation. Come to find out Paulie and Hannah's relationship is the least complicated drama unfolding in Period 8. What Logs, Paulie, and Hannah are about to learn is that not everyone is honest or has the group's best interests at heart.

Why I picked up this book: I was introduced to Chris Crutcher's books during my YA lit class in grad school. I've loved his stuff ever since and I've seen him twice at conferences. I needed some realistic fiction so I jumped at the chance to read this new one.

Why I finished it: It wasn't traditional Crutcher but it was good. What I love about Crutcher is that he doesn't sugarcoat anything. He has worked with teens, especially those in high-risk situations, and he knows how they talk and that life doesn't always have a happy ending. Some teens need to see themselves in a story and others need to safely explore what it might be like if...

I'd give it to: fans of Crutcher's other novels. High school students and adults. Readers looking for an edgy thriller that doesn't wrap everything up in a pretty bow at the end.

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

View all my Goodreads reviews

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails