Monday, April 01, 2013

Witch & Wizard #1 by James Patterson and Gabrielle Charbonnet

Witch & Wizard (Witch & Wizard, #1) Imagine waking up in the middle of the night to the police banging at your door, bursting into your home, and then pulling you away from your parents and throwing you into jail for no apparent reason. You then learn that they are accusing you and your sibling of being a witch and wizard. Rather than being given a phone call, attorney, or a fair trial, the charges are read, you are promptly found guilty and sentenced to a speedy death.

Sounds a bit far fetched, but what if all the turmoil in our world prompted citizens to elect a government that promised safety and security in exchange for a few personal freedoms?

For Wisty and Whit Allgood, that scenario was all too real. They had no idea they had any powers until they were fighting for their lives. Join them in the first volume of a new series as they fight to escape prison, find their parents, discover their magic potential, and try to stay alive.

Why I picked up the book: I've intended to read it many times but it kept getting pushed to the bottom of the pile (James Patterson doesn't exactly need my help finding readers!). My book club at Roosevelt wanted to read it so here was my chance.

Why I finished it: I wanted to know what happened to make this type of government and allowing it to take away freedoms. Plus I love all the parodies of book titles, singer and artist names. Patterson's books have short chapters and are perfect for readers with not a lot of time or short attention spans.

I'd give it to: dystopian fans who want a new series. Fans of Maximum Ride or Daniel X, maybe even Harry Potter fans. Teens and adults.

I would say this is probably my least favorite of his books. I think it had to many unexplained things. The beginning grabbed me, the middle dragged, and the end wrapped up too quickly. That said, readers who like it will want to pick up the next books in the series.

My rating: 3 of 5 stars

View all my Goodreads reviews

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails