Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Back of Beyond by C.J. Box

Back of BeyondCody Hoyt is a detective for the Lewis & Clark Sheriff's Department in Montana. He's rogue, but good at being a cop. Cody left his Denver job under bad circumstances, is in AA, and is a chain smoker. While on-call one night, he is summoned to the scene of a fire and apparent suicide. The victim was his sponsor and Cody immediately suspects foul play. His investigation will get him suspended and ultimately lead him into Back of Beyond in the remote reaches of Yellowstone, tracking a killer while trying to save someone he loves.

Why I picked up the book: CJ Box is a local Wyoming author, who grew up in Casper. I've read his stand alone novels and love them. Plus it was time for a change of pace in my reading.

Why I finished it: Cody Hoyt is a very realistic character, complete with flaws. The author does an amazing job with description, of characters & landscapes. He had me guessing all the way to the end as to the identity of the killer.

I'd give it to: high school students and adults looking for a good mystery or something set locally (Wyoming & Montana). I would caution readers that the books includes drinking, smoking, murder, and mention of sex (but no sex scenes).

My rating: 5 of 5 stars

View all my Goodreads reviews

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails