Thursday, August 25, 2011

Going Bovine by Libba Bray

Going BovineSixteen year old Cameron has just sort of floated through life, never really finding his niche or discovering his passion. That is until he receives the worse news of his life. Cameron is diagnosed with the human form of mad cow disease (Creutzfeldt-Jakob's disease). The kicker is that the disease is incurable, destroying his brain and eventually killing him.

But Cameron is given a second chance, courtesy of a punk angel named Dulcie. He must embark on a quest to find the mysterious Dr. X and the cure. Cameron is not alone on his journey. Cam convinces his hospital roommate Gonzo, a hypochondriac dwarf, to join him and soon they acquire a third member, a Viking yard gnome named Balder. Get ready for a crazy road trip.

Why I picked the book: This is the 3rd time I've picked up the book and tried to read it. It won the Printz award and has received many positive reviews. Our high school book group is also interested in reading it, so I've promised them I will (attempt to) finish it.


Why I finished the book: Once I got past page 60, the story really took off and it was hard to put down.

I'd give the book to: high schoolers, teachers, & librarians looking for something different and literary, with humor, fantasy, science, and a dose of "what the..". Warning: the book contains cursing, drinking & drug use, and reference to sex.

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

View all my Goodreads reviews

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails