Monday, December 17, 2012

Leverage by Joshua C. Cohen

Leverage Danny is a gymnast who hopes to be captain of the team by his senior year and earn a scholarship to college. He is small (even though he is a sophomore, he is often mistaken for a freshman) but so are the other members of the team, and being small has its advantages when you are throwing yourself in the air doing flips, cartwheels, back handsprings, and the high or parallel bars. It isn't always so great in the hallways of the hell that is high school or in the locker rooms that the football team thinks they are kings of.

Kurt is a monster, size-wise. The football coach has seen to it that his foster mom is treated well so that Kurt will play for Oregrove. The horrors that Kurt has seen in his past have left him with a scar on his face and a terrible stutter that convinces others that he is less than intelligent. But Kurt is smarter and more sensitive to the plight of others than anyone might imagine.

The football coach thinks he has an ace up his sleeve. His stars have an extra boost in terms of a "vitamin supplement", which has made them even more mean, huge, and violent. What starts as "boys will be boys" pranks, bullying, and entitlement has escalated to life threatening levels. The football team doesn't care for the gymnasts, especially after the gymnastics coach calls dibs on the "football" weight room. Will Danny and Kurt survive the pressure of the season and of high school?

Why I picked up the book: One of the books for the CY staff readers club. My husband is a huge sports fan, so there is plenty of sports info buzzing around my house, but I don't usually read sports novels.

Why I finished it: I had to know if someone would finally step up and stop the violence. I realize that we put some people and especially sports heroes on pedestals but we are all human and everyone deserves to be treated with respect. I also wanted to make sure that Kurt survives the horrors that those in power have brought upon him. I wanted to reach into the book and give him a hug and tell him he would survive.

I'd give it to: high school readers and adults who work with teens. Readers who won't be turned off by the violence and brutality.

Some reviewers feel that the violence was too over the top but I think it is realistic, especially in communities where sports/football are a religion.

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

View all my Goodreads reviews

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails