Thursday, February 21, 2013

Crank by Ellen Hopkins

Crank (Crank, #1)
Kristina
the perfect student
happy life

A second chance
to reconnect with
absent father.

Rather
than the reunion
hoped for

Dad on drugs
dirty apartment
empty fridge

Adam/Buddy
A new reality
Chance to experiment

New discoveries
the monster
and Bree.

Return home
New person
Bad habits

The monster’s
hold
won’t let go.

No longer Kristina
Bree will do
anything

For a taste of
the monster:
Crank.

Sequels: Glass and Fallout

Why I picked up the book: It was a pick for our book club at Roosevelt. I had read it in 2008 when it was nominated for, and subsequently won, the Wyoming Soaring Eagle (Teen Choice) Award. I have seen the author speak a few times.

Why I finished it: Hopkins' style isn't for everyone but I'm continuously amazed by it. Not only does the poetry work but she crafts it so well that each time you read it, you find something new, from the shape of the poems to the secondary verses.

I'd give it to: teens looking for edgy, gritty, realistic fiction. Hopkins' story is loosely based on her daughter and she definitely holds nothing back.

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

View all my Goodreads reviews

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails