Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Where'd You Go, Bernadette by Maria Semple

Where'd You Go, Bernadette Bee’s mother, Bernadette, mysteriously disappears, seemingly vanishing into thin air shortly before Christmas. Using a series of emails, letters, articles, and even doctor bills, Bee is able to piece together the events of Bernadette’s last days in an effort to find out where she may have gone. This fun and quirky novel will have you laughing, shaking your head, and wondering if Bee will figure out what happened and find her mom.

Why I picked up the book: I was browsing the "new releases" shelf and the cover jumped out at me. It had been on my radar after being an Alex Award winner (adult books that will appeal to teens).

Why I finished it: I didn't want to put it down. It is quirky and funny. It is told in a series of emails, articles, bills, etc. as Bee is trying to find out what happened to her mother. The ending wasn't as great as the beginning, though. It is still an interesting look at how a collective group can view an incident so different from one another.

I'd give it to: fans of Louise Rennison, Meg Cabot, and Jaclyn Moriarty.

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

View all my Goodreads reviews

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails