Monday, February 11, 2013

The Ruins of Gorlan (Ranger's Apprentice, #1) by John Flanagan

The Ruins of Gorlan (Ranger's Apprentice, #1) Will has always dreamed of being a warrior and a hero, like the father he never knew, but his small stature almost guarantees that dream won't be a reality. On Choosing Day, Will and the other wards of Baron Arald's Castle Redmont one by one are assigned to their apprenticeships. Will is disappointed when he is denied for Battleschool and Horseschool. But Will's curiosity is piqued by the appearance of the Ranger Halt, who gives the Baron a letter. The Baron looks at the note and tells Will that he will give his answer on Will's fate in the morning. Will is too intrigued by the prospect of what might be in the note and decides to break into the Baron's office that night. It turns out that the note was a set-up, to see if he indeed would break in. Halt has requested Will for Ranger training. Little is known about Rangers and it seems that the skills that often get Will into trouble (sneaking around, eavesdropping, climbing, etc) are perfect for being a Ranger. He must also learn to shoot a bow and arrow, use a knife, and disappear into the shadows. While being a Ranger's apprentice might not seem like a stellar appointment, Will may find himself right in the middle of the battle of his dreams.

Why I picked up the book: I haven't read it before because this series doesn't need my help finding readers. I have fans in my book club who want to discuss it so it is time. I tend not to read fantasy so it is a good stretch for me.

Why I finished it: Once I got past the prologue, which I read 3 times and am still lost, it is very quick and easy to follow. I won't continue reading the series now, but maybe when my son is older.

I'd give it to: anyone but boys particularly. (I have a lot of families and dads reading it!) Fans of Harry Potter.

My rating: 3 of 5 stars

View all my reviews

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails