Monday, May 20, 2013

Barefoot in Baghdad

Kaitlin
11th grade
Barefoot in Baghdad: A Story of Identity- My Own and What it Means to be a Woman in Chaos
By: Manal Omar
Manal M. Omar, author of Barefoot in Baghdad, an international aid worker from an Arab and Muslim heritage, has provided valuable first-hand insights into events a world away following the 9/11 World Trade Center disaster. One of the book's major characters is now a prominent member of San Diego's Iraqi community.Her book also provides a landscape of emotions and love between men and women in a war-torn environment. She uses a Charles Dickens’ analogy in her description of Baghdad: “It was the best of times, it was the worst of times.” The best of times could be Omar stating, “I enrolled in the prestigious Hunting Club in Mansour and went swimming every Tuesday and played Bingo every Friday night.” The worst of times included harrowing close calls with checkpoints and roadside bombs, as well as poignant losses of people she came to know and love. I chose this book because I am fascinated by the historical background of this story. I kept reading because of the suspense involved. I would give this book to anyone interested about women's rights in the Middle East. I give this book 4 stars! ****

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails