Monday, October 01, 2012

34 Pieces of You by Carmen Rodrigues

34 Pieces of You Secrets can be toxic, can destroy you if you don’t take proper care of them. Some are too painful to ever speak aloud, some you can never outrun, forget, or move past.

Ellie has secrets. Secrets she’s kept hidden from her best friend Sarah, her brother Jake, and Sarah’s sister Jessie. Secrets that may have contributed to the “accident” the night that Ellie died. Was she trying to commit suicide? Did Sarah realize what was going to happen and did she want to die as well? Could Jake have saved Ellie? What secrets is Jessie hiding? Who was the real Ellie? What do the strips of paper in the secret box under her bed have to do with her pain?

Why I picked up the book: It had been compared to "Thirteen Reasons Why" by Jay Asher, which I think it one of the best YA novels I've ever read.

Why I finished it: I didn't want to put the book down. Rodrigues created characters you wanted to know, with believable back stories. You care about them and their struggles and recognize pieces of them in people you know. (My high-school best friend was a bit like Ellie and Lola.)

I'd recommend it to: fans of 13RW. Teens looking for edgy YA. Adults, especially those with teens or who work with teens, who need to see the "real" world and problems teens often find themselves in.

My rating: 5 of 5 stars

View all my Goodreads reviews

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails