Thursday, October 11, 2012

Kisses from Katie: A Story of Relentless Love and Redemption by Katie J. Davis

Kisses from Katie: A Story of Relentless Love and Redemption During high school Katie was your typical teenager. Living with her family in a spacious house in a nice Tennessee neighborhood, driving a nice car (probably given to her by her parents), eating three meals a day, going shopping whenever she pleased. But something changed. She began to desire and dream about moving to a foreign country to do mission work. Her parents weren't on board. They wanted Katie to finish high school, go to college, start a career, get married and have a family. But Katie convinces them to let her take a three week mission trip to Uganda over Christmas break of her senior year and that trip changes everything. After high school Katie moves to Uganda for what is supposed to only be a year. But what she sees there and the love that she has for God and Uganda change her life.

The book is a collection of her blog posts and journal entries as well as pictures, explaining her journey and faith. Many people don't understand how Katie could give up her privileged life. This is her story.

Why I picked up the book: The story impressed me. As an adoptive mother, I'm always curious about what leads people to adoption. Katie adopted 14 girls and she was only 20! In our society of "me, me, me" and instant gratification, I wanted to know what would compel a teenage girl to give up her comfortable life and move to a foreign country.

Why I finished it: The book renewed my faith in the goodness of people. It also made me wonder why it is so inexpensive to feed children in under-developed countries, yet so expensive here in the US.

I'd give it to: teens and adults. Anyone who is thinking of taking a mission trip or have been on one. Anyone who has adopted. Anyone who needs to see that their faith and the little things they do in life really make a difference.

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

View all my Goodreads reviews

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails