Friday, October 19, 2012

October Mourning: A Song for Matthew ShepardOctober Mourning: A Song for Matthew Shepard by Lesléa Newman

October Mourning: A Song for Matthew Shepard


Why I picked up the book: I was a freshman in college the fall of 2008, when Matthew Shepard was brutally murdered. I had planned to attend UW but at the last minute chose to stay home and attend CWC. I will never forgot the day of his funeral. The weather was a reflection of the mood: gray, gloomy, stormy, snow. I've read the book by Matthew's mother and wondered what this book would add.

Why I finished it: This short book is a beautiful gift to the memory of Matthew. The poetry is exceptional and even if you don't know about or remember the crime, you will.  As humans and as Wyoming residents, the brutal and horrific murder of Matthew Shepard has left a scar on our hearts and hopefully changed how we treat others, making us more loving, accepting, and kind. 

I'd give it to: Anyone (mothers, fathers, teachers, teens--maybe high school and up). Those who appreciate the art of poetry.

Note: The author has an extensive collection of notes/bibliography for readers to learn more. She also explains the poetry forms she uses.

My rating: 5 of 5 stars

View all my Goodreads reviews

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails