Thursday, November 15, 2012

Andrew Zimmern's Field Guide to Exceptionally Weird, Wild, and Wonderful Foods: An Intrepid Eater's Digest by Andrew Zimmern

Andrew Zimmern's Field Guide to Exceptionally Weird, Wild, and Wonderful Foods: An Intrepid Eater's Digest Andrew Zimmern is the host of the Travel Channel show "Bizarre Foods", where he travels, documents, and eats weird, wild, wonderful, and bizarre foods from around the globe. This guide highlights 40 foods like bird's nest soup, maggot cheese, and tarantulas as well as those we eat like crazy here in the US: circus peanuts, hot dogs, SPAM, and twinkies.

Each "food" section is only 4-6 pages long and includes a brief history of the food, along with information about how it is prepared. Then Zimmern adds fun and scientific information either with facts about the animal, food, or region, possible recipes to make it at home, and tie-ins to pop culture. The guide includes black and white photographs as well as illustrations.

Why I picked up the book: I was looking for something new to take on my middle school booktalking visits. This fit the bill as I love to share fun, exciting, and gross non-fiction that you don't have to read cover to cover.

Why I finished it: I literally didn't want to put it down.  Then you  The only thing that would have improved the book would have been color photos.

I'd give it to: reluctant readers, especially guys. I found myself reading parts to my husband knowing he'd either laugh or think it was gross and disgusting.

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

View all my Goodreads reviews

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails